Advanced structural design and analysis (C3)
Venue: University of Strathclyde
Staff: Professor N Barltrop
Aims: To develop an understanding of the advanced methods of structural analysis including ultimate strength analysis and thus to establish the reserve and residual strength of a structure.
Module Content: The module will combine formal lectures and tutorial exercises. The module will cover the following topics:
- Evolution of rule based design and its application to a ship structure.
- Ultimate strength calculation of flat and curved stiffened plate structure.
- Ultimate strengh of stiffened cylinders, as components of TLP and semi-submersible structures.
- Design of submarine structure.
- Ultimate strength of hull girder structure.
- Case studies of structural failures.
Learning outcomes: On completion of this course the students should understand the ultimate strength behaviour of structural components and systems.