TCE1 Marine Renewable Energy: Sources and Recovery
Venue: University of Southampton
Staff: Professor P Wilson
Aims: To introduce students to marine renewable energy technologies, spatial planning, capital and economic considerations.
Module content: The module will cover the following topics:
- Framing the imperatives and the macro-economic environment for marine renewable energy projects. Components of the industry. Overview of regulatory framework. De-carbonising the UKL economy/climate change.
- Underpinning knowledge for identification, capture and utilization of wind, wave and tidal energy sources.
- Current portfolio, emerging technologies.
- Spatial Planning.
- What is spatial planning? What are the key considerations? Who are the stakeholders? What space is needed? Conflicts with other activities.
- Evaluating project feasibility, securing project finance.
- Case Studies.
- Predominantly offshore wind, tidal exemplars, wave emerging technologies.
© MTEC 2011